Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Prognosis

So I go to the doctor yesterday about my foot.  I knew I was in trouble from the start when the assistant asked me the make and model of the shoe I was running in when the injury occurred.  "Well, ah, self made huaraches, sort of like barefoot running."  I get a stern look and get sent to X-Ray.  Mind you, I chose this doctor because she regularly runs ultras, so I knew she'd understand my compulsive behavior with endurance racing.

A few minutes later, the doctor (Dr. Stacey Bacon) enters the room and immediately starts to lecture me on how I should not be running barefoot.  It seems she was already briefed by a doctor/neighbor/friend of mine that morning about my background.  She even knew I had switched from the full Houston Marathon to the half.  I mean she went on for at least five straight minutes about how running barefoot is not a good idea.  Since I was in to see her due to barefoot running, I'm agreeing with her the entire time--yet, I had to endure the whole speech.  Now that wouldn't be bad, except my wife was in the room and loving every minute of having another women read me the riot act!

Dr. Bacon quickly reviewed the X-Rays, which showed nothing unusual (stress fractures won't show up until they start to heal).  She reviewed my foot and symptoms as well.  She said she's not sure if it is a stress fracture or something like a stress "response".  So I go back for more X-Rays in three weeks.  At that time she can determine if it is actually fractured or just bruised up.  Until then I'll be focused on cycling and swimming.

Train safe!

1 comment:

  1. I hate that when you have already come to the conclusion that what you did was goofy and stupid and then you have to have someone else rant at you about how goofy and stupid you were and you are a coach and should have known better.

    Been there....

    ReplyDelete