Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Barefoot running update

I've been very patient in building up my mileage in my self made huaraches.  I ran three (3) miles in them last Saturday morning followed by three miles in shod.  Here is what I've experienced so far:

  1. I can run faster in my huaraches, likely due to their weight compared to shoes.
  2. Surprisingly my HR tends to be quite a bit higher than when I'm running in shoes.  I can't explain this one other than perhaps item 1 above.
  3. My feet do need to get "broken in."  Not so much from the lack of cushioning, but due landing differently (on the toes) to more flexing during the toe off, the muscles in the bottom of foot get "workout sore."  I find I need to stretch the bottoms of my feet--this is new to me.
  4. The biggest difference I have found is the amount of muscular soreness (again "workout sore") I experience in my glutes/hip region.  I feel as if I've done a TON of squats the following day.  Trying to assess this, I believe it due to the change in my gait needed to run without cushioning.  In other words, my legs have to be the complete shock absorber to avoid the shock of landing on concrete.  Just running 2-3 miles in huaraches seems to require about 2-3 days for these muscles to recover.
Although the weather in Houston is getting a bit less conducive to barefoot running, on warmer days, I will continue to build my mileage.  I figure if I need that much recovery, it must be making me stronger, right?

Train safe!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe try trigger point after your barefoot runs. Sounds like it's coming a long really well!

    ReplyDelete