Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Functional Strength Training

Last November I wrote that I'd be exploring if Crossfit training would work with triathlon.  Since then, I've done a lot of research on Crossfit and functional strength training.  Since then, in addition to my regular triathlon training, I've added two days a week of a variety of functional strength training circuits.  The circuit routines always include a brief warm up, a main set that is generally 20-30 minutes, and ended with a brief stretch/cool down.  These are very fast, intense circuits that include a lot of balance work.

So, are they working?  When I first started them, I had not done much strength work for nearly a year.  The workouts slowed me down both in the pool and in running.  I teach spin classes three days a week, so I limited my off season bike training to just those sessions, so I'm not sure how my bike power was affected by the strength training.  I do know my bike didn't move at all in the class. ;)  After three months, I noticed my running speed was coming back.  Recently I noticed I pulled 7 seconds off my 200's...consistently!  My long weekend rides are also improving...but that could just be because I'm now doing long bike rides.

I've also added a variety of these workouts to my clients' workouts.  They love them for the variety, intensity, and brevity of the workouts.  "Nothing like a 22 minute butt kicking! More, more, more!" wrote one of my clients in their training log.

Therefore, from my own experience, they appear to be contributing to improvement.  Also, my clients have found them enjoyable.  On top of that, the balance work should help prevent injuries.

Train safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment