Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Amazing Human Machine

The Texas Trails 50K race scheduled for December 5, 2009 in Huntsville, TX is fast approaching on my schedule. I was started to get concerned that I was not recovering fast enough from the Great Floridian Triathlon (GFT), especially given last week's training.

My mid-week runs are now back up to my typical 7 miles, although I'm holding off from doing any speedwork since the GFT. I also was able to start adding a fourth weekly run this week. I'm also seeing my pace starting to pick back up. However, Sunday morning my scheduled called for 20 mile run.

Upon waking on Sunday morning, I tried hard to justify why I really didn't need to do this run--a rest day would be good for me. I just couldn't talk myself out of it, no matter how fatigued I felt. Mind you, it could have been the Margarita's and Mexican food the night before, too, that wanted me to NOT do the run.

Well, I went out to Terry Hershey Park and got my legs started. Still feeling some slight pain in the left glute area (that tends to feel better after I warm up), the demons in my mind kept trying to convince me to stop. I continued to plod along to mile 6, 7, ..., 13,...I thought, "Why not just walk back to the car from here?" I decided it was better to just keep plodding.

I ended up passing by my parked car at mile 16.25, according to my Garmin. "Now's the perfect time to stop!" I kept on running. I did an out back to complete 20 miles. Wow, I did it! What was interesting to me is that even thought my heart rate was extremely low the entire run, my pace actually improved throughout the entire distance.

I wasn't ready, wanted to quit, but made it while increasing pace the entire workout. It is amazing what the human machine can do even when your head's not up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment