Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The ups and downs of the training week

This past week was challenging.  First, I continued to add to my strength workouts. I'm working on individual leg strength and continued to do single leg squats.  To continue with the strength theme, I added distance and intervals to my treadmill workouts.  Due to rain on Friday, I did a strength workout and decided to move my long run to Saturday before heading off to teach my spin class.  A few miles into my fifteen miles the day after single legged squats had me questioning my decision to move days around.

I also decided to do my first long ride of the year.  That decision was made when the temperatures were in the 60's.  Sunday morning temps at Royal Middle School were 33.3 degress F...it said so on the High School digital sign.  I was meeting another rider, Jonathan, so I HAD to do it.  After putting on over 4 layers of clothing (this was the first time I wore booties OVER my toe covers), we headed out.  The wind seemed be against us the entire way, my toes never warmed and my nose wouldn't stop running.  Upon completing the ride, I did NOT want to run.  I was cold, stiff, and sore (remember those single legged squats).  Jonathan convinced us both that we should just do it.

I'm glad we did.  Our pace continued to pick up as we ran, and we finished with feeling returning to our toes.  It actually put the workout, the week, and the drive home, in a positive light. 

Train safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment