Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Week of Recovery

This past week was the most challenging recovery week I've ever, ever faced.  After racing the the Texas Independence Relay last weekend, I decided to take two days of complete rest (i.e. no training or workouts).  Monday and Tuesday I felt fatigued, but thought that Wednesday would be better and a couple of easy workouts would help.  On Wednesday I strolled into LifeTime, swam an easy 1500 meters at a nice slow pace followed by a spin class where I went relatively easy.


All day Wednesday the fatigue continued.  "This will end soon," I thought to myself.  So on Thursday, I did a sort of tempo bike ride on the trainer followed by a five mile run.  I still felt terrible all day on Thursday.  I could not wake up!
 
Friday I slept in again and proceeded with another rest day.  I STILL felt fatigued all day.  Saturday I woke up feeling just OK, but had to ride the Tour Dallas, since I had registered for it along with my entire family.  It was a nice, slow "Tour" of Dallas on the bike. 
 
Finally, I was feeling better.  I still felt a bit sluggish this morning, but was able to pull together an 8 mile run and a mile swim.  Still feeling fine and looking for my regularly scheduled Monday "rest" day.
 
Evidently the multiple "tempo" runs last weekend on minimal sleep took a greater toll on me than I anticipated.  Looking forward to a better week of training this week.
 
Train safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment