Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Where did that come from?

One of the advantages of relocating to a new city is I get to race some local races that are "new" to me.  This morning I was able to race the DRC Half Marathon, a race put on the by the Dallas Running Club.  My next big adventure is the Cowtown 50K, so I figure doing some "short" races such as half marathon would be a way to inspire me to keep focused on training as well as get out and see some new venues.

The race was in its 35th year, and the logistics proved it.  Shuttle service from various parking lots, clear signage for bag drops, food tents, etc.  And even a nice beer garden!

Lately, I've really had a hard time with the psychology of training and racing.  I'm just having trouble feeling "it".  Same mind games started with me this morning.  I told everyone that I'll be lucky to run a 1:45, so I lined up between the 1:40 and 1:50 pace groups.  When the horn blew and we started running, I started to think..."Wait a minute, a couple of years ago I was able to run a 3:19 marathon; I certainly ought to be able to run a 1:40 half marathon!"  By mile 3 I caught the 1:40 pace group and proceeded to run by them.  I never saw them again.  My Timex Ironman Global Trainer said I was averaging 7:28 at mile 5.  The course started to move up hill and when I passed mile 6 (after a steep climb) my watch reported that mile was 7:42.

"Uh-oh, there goes the race.  My pace is starting to fade already."  I decided to focus and hang on.  By mid-point I was still at a 7:28 pace.  I decided to see if I could pick it up.  I recall a quote from my friend Alex Bump who said toward the end of long run, "Tighten the core and stay light!"  So that's what I tried to do.  My pace picked up with my last mile being at 7:12.  I finished with a 1:37.  Whoa!  Where did that come from?

Racing continues to remind me to stay confident and trust your training. 

Train safe!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, and good thoughts for me to consider next week (San Antonio marathon). You'll have to explain more about the "tighten the core and stay light" part...

    JD

    ReplyDelete