Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Forced Recovery

Last post I mentioned the need for recovery.  Over the last couple of weeks, I got to experience forced recovery.  Not due to over training, mind you, let's just say due to agressive training. 

About a week and a half ago, I was out mountain biking with my son.  I've gotten a bit more experience since moving to Dallas, so in the "must show off mode" I started out hard and fast.  Upon reaching my first real rock to overcome (which I went over 5X's the previous weekend), when I hit it, it shot me back and back hard.  All I remember was my face heading toward the rack.  I moved and did what ever I could to avoid it.  That rendered my entire left side taking the brunt of my fall. 

I'd never experienced anything like this before.  I couldn't exhale nor inhale.  My son was asking if I was OK; I tried to answer, but nothing was coming out.  I stood up and walked around, and still couldn't really breath.  Finally, I was able to start breathing.

My arm was bleeding, and my chest hurt a bit, but decided to continue on and rode for the remainder of my ride.  At the conclusion of the ride, I had planned a brick run...that was when I found out how bad my fall must have been.  I jogged three steps and stopped. The pain was too much for me.

So I was forced to recover and go easy.  I was still able to run last weekend's Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon with my wife, albeit at a nice recovery pace.

Stay healthy and train safe!

1 comment: