Ramblings of a Southern California Triathlete

Thursday, August 12, 2010

ITU World's Race Report

I continue to describe this race as the most challenging and most fun race I've ever done!  The water was cold (65 degrees F) and I only brought my sleeveless wetsuit.
The bike course was extremely hilly and technical with skinny roads, and I used the same gearing I use in Houston.  On the steep climbs, the locals came out and cheered.  It is the closest I'll ever get to the Tour de France like riding!  According to my iBike, the steepest climb was 16.2%.  Of course what goes up, must come down--translating to a maximum speed of over 44 mph! 
The run was three loops that included a jaunt through downtown Immenstadt.  I saw family and friends multiple times!  Additionally, there were two good friends from Houston, Josh and Jonathan, racing as well.  We saw and encouraged each other throughout the run.
The finish was in the local schools stadium/track arena that included a big screen TV broadcasting the finish!

Additionally, we made new friends while traveling with our exchange student's family.  The Linsler's were gracious in giving us a tour of the "real" Germany, allowing us to stay at their home as well as host us around the country in their personal vehicle.  Not only do I have a "daughter" in Germany, but gained a close friendship with her father, Ralf (thanks, Ralf, Eva, and your entire family!)  

First three photos were taken by Ralf Linsler.  

Train safe!

2 comments:

  1. If the roads in Germany were anything like the roads in Switzerland then I know how slow uphill you were going and how fast you were going downhill. Congratulations on your race!

    ReplyDelete